Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Reluctant Admission (that I didn't want to make, but am now making, so I guess that means it's real)

I have some bad news.

Life is basically full of bad news (don't worry, that's not the bad news--I'm not about to get super Confucius/Shakespeare/Dr. Phil philosophical). There's a downside to everything, and just because optimists don't acknowledge it or let it faze them doesn't mean these downsides go away.

So, the bad news is that I think I have to delay the publication of Severance, which I said would be in June.

Here's the deal. There was a period of time where I really hated the book. There was something wrong with it and I couldn't put my finger on it. I went through some significant life changes (aka college graduation) and I felt really optimistic (my first error) about what I could do with this book. I rewrote and edited everything that I had already put to page, and then embarked on finishing the last few chapters. I was in great standing until I started feeling sick.

It was an inexplicable dizziness. I felt like I was drunk every moment of the day, even when I was stone-cold sober. I would wake up in the morning and I would feel fine, and then I would start surfing the internet and gradually take up writing, and I would feel ill.

After several days it became clear that the thing that was making me dizzy was my computer, iPhone, and television.

If you've read my book, my blog, or my twitter, it is evident that I adore technology. I'm a gadget geek. The downside to these wonderful items that make me happy--laptop, television, iPhone, Kindle, etc.--is that they also make me dizzy.

I googled it and this sort of thing is very common. Apparently, humans are not meant to concentrate on isolated lights for extended periods of time. As I was working hard on my book, I was basically on the computer at all times of the day. I had evaded carpal tunnel for so long that I thought I was invincible--Asus finally struck me down for my hubris.

So, in order to quell my dizziness, I started doing some new things: I reduced the backlight on my laptop, stopped playing the Sims for 5 days, and I stopped using my laptop for extended periods of time. This set me back considerably.

The good news is that I feel a lot better. Now that I've taken into account the fact that my computer time is precious, I start my writing early in the day, take a seven hour or so break, and work on it a little bit at night--like half an hour--so that I can think it over as I'm going to sleep.

Still, I have to be real and admit that if I am to publish a good quality, well-edited sequel to The Complex, I have no choice but to postpone. I will promise that you will have this book in your hands before the summer ends. I have very little left to write, and I'm getting better at editing as I go. If you've got a minute, send good wishes my way. Let's shoot for early July.

Thanks,

-CZ

4 comments:

  1. <3

    Repeat after me: It's okay. It's okay! It's... okay.

    I think I speak on behalf of all adoring fans, that,
    a) I'd rather you not make yourself sick, and thus over the course of your life produce more wonderful stories, and
    b) I'd rather wait the time it takes for YOU to believe you've written your sequel.

    I'm sure you've waited the year, or 2 years, it can sometimes take. And its always worth it in the end, yah?

    It's okay. :) I'm glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh thank you so much. This is exactly what I need to hear :)

      Delete
  2. I agree, take all the time you need. I'm recovering from CFS/ME, and I'm *still* learning that if I do not pace my energy output, I will get brain fog, pain and unbelievable exhaustion. That's when I remember that I want to enjoy my writing (and my other business) and that my health has to come first so that I am *able* to write.

    Do what you need to do, Cathy - and please put yourself first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanna. It's nice to know that other writers can empathize with my situation. Thanks!

      Delete