Monday, June 11, 2012

Would you like a free copy of my book?

I have a love/hate relationship with Goodreads.com.

Goodreads is responsible for 90% of the publicity that my book receives. I honestly don't know where else I would be able to so shamelessly pimp my own book, other than this--my personal blog, or the deep dark abyss that is Twitter. I really cannot stress how grateful I am to have a fabulous site like Goodreads.

But I hate it. Goodreads will probably give me an ulcer one day. If for some reason I pass in a freak accident, Goodreads was probably at fault. Just kidding. Sort of .

What I don't like about Goodreads is that they don't care if anyone has read your book. They have too many books to deal with, and frankly, they don't give a rat's ass whether or not the ratings on the site are legitimate. And honestly, I wouldn't care either if I were a site admin. At the end of the day, it's not a big deal. BUT, for self pub writers like myself, the ratings do hurt when they're bad. More often than not, they are delivered sans criticism, which leaves a writer to wonder if this person actually read their book or not. I personally check hourly, and have moped around the host like a tween who has just finished reading Breaking Dawn because of bad ratings. I never said I was thick skinned, but I don't think I need to be. People are allowed to be sensitive, and when negative ratings are given without explanation it's really upsetting. I have so few ratings as it is, and every single one affects me.

I try not to let it bring me down, but anyone who has been in this position has to agree that it sucks.

Still, I am grateful for Goodreads and all its perks, such as its FABULOUS ability to let you give paper copes of your book away to readers who enter to win! And I would be honored if anyone reading this post decided to enter to win my book.


Goodreads Book Giveaway

The Complex by Cathy E. Zaragoza

The Complex

by Cathy E. Zaragoza

Giveaway ends August 01, 2012.
See the giveaway details at Goodreads.
Enter to win

5 comments:

  1. I didn't realize what it meant for new YA authors like yourself when it came to reviews. I usually wrote them with other readers in mind, what I would say to my friends. But then again, I don't think many/any read MY review.

    Having read this post though, I think I will give more thorough reviews. Not just for other readers, but for authors.

    You def gave me something to think about.

    -Raphaelle (rarabesh - twitter )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I'm glad my whining has a little sense behind it. My original post contained a line about me crying and listening to Adele that I omitted because it sounded too desperate. Probably a good decision...

      Delete
  2. I think you just described about 99% of the indies on Goodreads. We skulk around investigating every little statistical change - ratings, reviews, who's added the book to their to-read list, how many entered the contests, has the book ben added to any listmania lists, etc. It's normal. That's what I tell myself anyway. Thick skin is a fake it until you make it kind of affair IMO. We all die a little bit when we read a bad review or (worse) get a bad rating with no attached review. But the law of averages means a good one is likely to be close behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love goodreads. but then again, i am no author. i didn't realize the toll it takes on authors...psyche. ;) listening to Adele and crying. haha. cracked me up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Even after I wrote it in jest it still sounded desperate. I'm glad it's not that bad.

      Delete