Sunday, September 2, 2012

NOOK! I love ILoveYAFiction.com ...and I address the idea of buying reviews.

I'm apparently really bad at setting deadlines and keeping them because I don't have a sequel to offer you yet. There were some hiccups in the editing process and because of these interruptions I felt like there were issues that I needed to address before I was comfortable publishing. I think the moral of the story is to be confident in your creations from start to finish, and to think about what makes you happy versus what makes other people happy.

I guess I've been cryptic enough for one blog post and I would like to be very blunt when I announce that...
...I'm on Nook!

Yep, after exactly six months of being tied to the giant of ebook publishing, Amazon.com, this bird has flown. In addition to Kindle, I now offer a Nook version of The Complex. I know, because you were waiting with bated breath, right?

Go ahead. I'll give you a minute to cheer like the you've won the lottery, because, you know, you pretty much have.

I am also pleased to share that The Complex got a wonderful review on the incredible site ILoveYAFiction.com. This is by far my favorite reviews site and I'm so flattered by the things said in this review.

The last thing I was going to do in this blog entry when I started writing it a few days ago was address a New York Times article that was published a week ago about authors who pay for reviews. I had a lot of strong feelings about it when I first read the article. I am extremely bothered by the fact that some authors pay for reviews, to put it simply.

I will never pay for a review and I have not spend a dime on my book. I've never paid for an editor, cover designer, an advertisement, a web domain--anything. Frankly, if nobody buys my book because I refuse to spend money on advertising it, then so be it. I'm at the point where if it gets read and loved--great. If not, it was a fun experience. But when I sit around and read tweet after tweet from authors pimping their own books and trying SO FREAKING HARD to get people to read their books, I think it's silly. I absolutely did that at one point because it's the norm in the indie/self-pub world and I thought that it was something I was supposed to do--but it's not for me anymore.

I don't care about money. I say that a lot, and I usually follow up that statement with something along the lines of "People who don't have money are the only ones who say that." Well, I don't make a killing writing books, I never thought I would make a killing writing books, and for me, it has never been--and never will be--about how many units I sell. Anyone who buys their own reviews is not a real writer. I know that major publishing houses carry this out on their authors' behalf, which is why this situation is so sticky, but this I will say: A self pub writer who writes a typo-ridden piece of crap and then buys 50 reviews for their book is nothing more than a swindler who is spending money to make money.

I'm having trouble finding an organic way to end this post so I'm just going to stop writing.

Three cheers for my Nook book!

-CZ

No comments:

Post a Comment