Monday, October 21, 2013

Goodbye to the post-Cavall world

For the past two years, I have spent a decent amount of my existence thirty years in the future in a overwhelmingly bleak America.


 ...I thought about continuing with this imagery, but then I realized that was tedious. You all know what I'm walking about. I also thought about making a joke about time travel, but then I realized that wasn't very funny. I am not a time traveler.

But anyway, for the past two years I have unraveled a relatively simple idea about a group of people living in a really crappy future. I don't like the phrase "dystopia" because I don't really think that's what the post-Cavall world is. Even its inhabitants realize this: if you don't know better, the post-Cavall world is a fantastic place to live. It's super spacious, rent is low, it's environmentally friendly, basically all chores are done for you, and all you have to do is go to work and hang out with your family. Oh, and school is easier to get through, and everyone is decently good looking. The only thing that makes it crappy is that the government lied to everybody this one time, and aren't willing to come clean about it.

More often than not, when I complain about some trivial thing in my life, some hypocritical person (let's be real, we all complain about our first world problems) will say something about how my life could be worse. That's true. Everyone's life could be much, much worse, but that doesn't mean it's okay to belittle the things that matter to any individual. This is a common theme in these four books that I've written.

Now that I have finished the fourth and final book in this series, I have some parting thoughts about it.

1) If you didn't enjoy reading the other ones, don't read Capital. I'm serious. Don't waste your money. If you didn't like the characters, thought it was boring, felt no emotional investment, then just don't read this last one. I can say with good authority that if you didn't like the other ones, you're really not going to like this one. If you're just curious about what happens, I'll tell you right now: I spend the vast majority of this book tying up loose ends for the characters so that you have a sense of where their lives go. This is not a book about the post-Cavall world; this is a book about the way that place has affected these people, and how they choose to exist in it. If you don't like these characters, you're just not going to like this book. If you really want to know what happens, but you don't like my books, send me an email.

2) I don't believe in happy endings. When I went into this book, I didn't really know what was going to happen. I just sort of wrote it. All I knew was the general sense that I wanted to convey, and that's the direction I went. Without ruining anything for you, this book does not end happily. It doesn't end in a tearjerky way--I also don't like that. It's just not super happy, which pretty much sums up the tone of the entire series.

3) I don't like to talk about it. Really. I can't explain it.

4) I don't think I'm sad that it's over. Writing these books was, more than anything, something I did for myself. I got all the happiness and pleasure that I could ever hope for in simply writing them. If I didn't want to end the series now, I would have just kept writing. It was the right place to end this story, and I don't know that I have more to say. That's a good thing.

Capital will hopefully be out this week. I am so sorry for the long delay--it was not in my hands. Thanks for being patient.

-CZ

4 comments:

  1. I loved reading your Post- Cavall Series! I can't wait to read the last book! I have enjoyed every minute that I spent reading this series! Thank you for writing these books, they are some of my favorite! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you, Carrie! Thanks for your support and for reading--I'm so glad to hear that you've enjoyed my books!

      Delete
  2. I've been loving this series, even when I wasn't really sure if I could wrap my head around the parts with Helena in prep school and in tabloids. I feel like this is a well developed concept in YA dystopia (best genre ever) with complex characters that aren't plugged into any pre-existing scripts or patterns, especially in their interpersonal relationships. Plus, the emphasis on our major bureaucracies (medicine, military, politics) makes the short thirty-year timespan almost plausible. In several ways, including believability and world-building, I think the Linx series gives Divergent a run for its money. Just referred my sister to these books by calling them "the good Divergents" (and we liked those), and googling the names led me to the newly released book! I am so excited to go home and read them all over for the fourth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so, so happy that you're enjoying them! It means so much to me that you like them and that you left me this comment. I hope you like Capital too!

      Delete